October 3, 2010

Fun With Fruticose Lichen

California Spanish Moss (Ramalina menziesii) is not actually a moss, but a combination of fungus and algae. Sexy, huh? In other (more pleasant sounding) words, it's a lichen. And since it's all branchy like, I think it's a fruticose one. (I also think you could throw "pendant" in there, too, but that doesn't make for such a nicely alliterative post title.)
 
This week I had lots of fun embellishing my ribbons, pins, masks, and wands with this living lace, which apparently continues to photosynthesize as long as it is exposed to moisture and light. I am eager to see whether my wand's trailing lichen tail will eventually become even more trailing. That would be appropriately magical.  University of California's Hastings Biological Field Station thinks it can grow 30% in a year. I'll keep you posted.
 

5 comments:

  1. I just cannot justify coming to CA for a botanical bracelet, but these beauties make me want to try! And as if they weren't enough you tempt further on the previous post with a salade tricolore to die for. It's not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are plenty of other reasons to come to California! Just let me know when you need some excuses . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime!

    First of all, I can't believe you were featured on Design*Sponge. I mean, I CAN believe it after seeing these gorgeous photos, but that's celebrity status to me.

    Second, the mask photo up there is incredibly reminiscent of the chicken mask from our Freshman Kidnapping adventure years ago. Don't make me tag you on FB ;)

    Much much much love,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chelsea!!!

    As I said earlier, mad hott props for spelling my name correctly, even after all these years! That's a top notch journalist for you.

    Do you know, I just retired that chicken mask about a year ago? Now I regret it. Please do tag me. I think.

    See you soon!

    xxoo,

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete